Categories enable you to group similar menu items on screen and in reports. Categories are typically labeled as Beverages, Appetizers, Entrees, Desserts, etc. MicroSale defaults to 9 categories on the screen. We suggest grouping two smaller groups of items together to take advantage of screen space ; such as grouping Soups | Salads or Soups / Salads.
If you would like to break categories down further, you will use subcategories. Subcategories are typically used in a full service, full bar restaurant. For example, In the Beverages Category, you can assign all alcohol as subcategories such as Draft Beer, Bottled Beer, Mixed Drinks, Rum, etc.
- Go to Manager Menu > Menu Maintenance > Menu Category
- Type in a Category Name
- Select Add/Edit
- You should now see your category name under Unassigned Categories
- Why? You may have categories in your system that are used seasonally that are not always available – for example, a St. Patrick’s Day Menu that is used every year.
- Highlight the category name in the Unassigned Categories area and select Assign to Button.
- Repeat steps 1-5 until completed.
- Select Save Button List and Exit.