Subcategories are helpful for large menus or restaurants that need to further breakdown groups of items. For example, under a liquor category, you may want to breakdown items by rum, vodka, cordials, etc. Subcategories must be assigned to a category in order to appear on the order screen, but the subcategory will report as a stand-alone category.
Managers Menu > Menu Maintenance > Sub Category Menu
- Type in the name of the subcategory; Rum | Tequila
- Select a category to assigned to this subcategory
- Select Save
Side Note: you can assign subcategories to a Timed Event – Timed Events assigned to subcategories will either add/subtract a price for all items assigned to this subcategory or you can assign it to a subcategory that will not allow the user to access during off times.
Adding subcategories to the order screen
Subcategories are created into buttons that will need to be assigned on the order screen.
Managers Menu > Menu Maintenance > Menu Item Button Layout
- Select the category that the subcategory it is assigned to
- Left click the subcategory name
- Left click the unassigned button (gray button at the bottom of the screen)
- Right click and drag button to the screen
If you would like the subcategory on multiple screens, select the category of your choice then;
- Select All Categories (shows all menu items/subcategories programmed in the menu)
- Follow steps 1-3 from above
- If the unassigned button does not appear, double click on the menu item or subcategory name and select Yes to Add a Button
- After the button appears, left click the menu item/subcategory
- Right click and drag to the screen